1. Unregistered users can now participate on SneakyDave.com. All posts are moderated, which means they won't show up until they're approved.
    Dismiss Notice

Comprehensive Url Parser Bugs

Discussion in 'XFStuff' started by SneakyDave, Dec 7, 2015.

1. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

Just a thread to try to report and track bugs for this product.

2. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

In the 1.1.6 version, an option was added that allows you to add a custom class to links generated by this addon. I've done some basic testing with this, and it seems to work, but I haven't heard back from the original requestor if it will meet their needs. At the moment, there is only one option to add a class tag to BOTH appended, and replacement, based links. There aren't separate options for appended affiliates, and replacement affiliates.

In the 1.1.6 version of this product, the annoying bug with the question mark appearing in some replacement affiliate links still exists. Version 1.1.6a should resolve that. I've been testing it pretty extensively, and I don't think this change should affect anybody's existing affiliate options, but if you've used this version, and noticed strangeness in your affiliated links that the product creates, please let me know.

There have been some requests to add functionality to this addon that will hide the status bar link that users are visiting, but I don't plan to implement that, as it's a little dishonest to members, and frankly, it looks pretty difficult, especially in the newest browsers.

#2 SneakyDave, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  3. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

I have a potential solution for this. It is currently in beta testing.

4. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

This option is included as an experimental features in 1.2.0.

5. SineDave

SineDave New Member

I think amazon shortlinks are currently a weakness. Even though you append our tag, the original still overrides.

Example:

http://amzn.to/1SWtSsd?tag=homethea02-20

Our tag is applied at the end, but it's actually tagged to someone else.

Is it possible to have the amzn.to links "lengthened" so they can be fixed?

• Like Like x 1
  6. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

I think there is a thread on xenforo about Amazon shortener links. I'll try to find it, but basically, I don't think that Amazon's newer shortener links will work.

The problem is that you'd have to run the shortened URL through a service to get the original URL, then apply the affiliate information to it, and then optionally re-shorten it.

Doing it on the fly while threads are being viewed would be too slow. Andy B may have that feature available in his Amazon Parser version, which actually changes the database, rather than just changing how the URL is viewed, like this add-on does.

#6 SneakyDave, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  7. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice