1. Unregistered users can now participate on SneakyDave.com. All posts are moderated, which means they won't show up until they're approved.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request: Mark Url

Discussion in 'XFStuff' started by barrymossel, Dec 29, 2015.

1. barrymossel

barrymossel New Member

I am using the url parser and loving it to bits. But I know certain people look at the url in the bottom of the screen and rather don't click when it's an obvious affiliate link, like this:

[​IMG]
    Will it be possible to mask the link and show the original {url} there? Would be really great!

Furthermore: will it possible to add an option to add a no-follow to certain links, as Google does not like website to have follow links directly to affiliate sites, as is the case for e.g. banggood.com. I believe it is best practice to add rel=nofollow for those links.

---edit---
    I already found a way to add the rel=nofollow to all links, by using the custom HTML tags in the miscellaneous. This adds the tag for all links. Might be handy to have this custom html tag option specific for the append or replace tab.

More on this: http://www.affiliatemarketertraining.com/no-follow-affiliate-links/

#1 barrymossel, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

I get a lot of requests for that. I've looked into it, but unfortunately, I don't think it is very doable with modern browsers. I have heard that Skimlinks and/or Viglink does this type of thing via an Ajax call, and if that's the case, I'm not sure if this addon is a good fit to implement that. I'll keep looking into that though.

Hiding affiliate links is probably a bad idea in the long run, if you're relying on SEO, but that's just my opinion. Google probably frowns upon the practice.

Have you tried turning on link proxying in XenForo? That way, your affiliate links will be proxied through your own site, so maybe the affiliate isn't as obvious?

Yes, I've been meaning to separate that out, so that each option has the ability to add a custom class or attribute to the URL's. I added that option as a beta a couple of versions below, by request, but I didn't get a response from the requestor if it it met their needs, but I'm glad it's useful for other people!

Thanks for the suggestions. If you're interested in the "Custom HTML tag" independent option for append and replace affiliates, let me know, and I'll send you a beta when it's ready.

#2 SneakyDave, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  3. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

Actually, I may have found a way to do this, and it's easier than I thought, although I wouldn't recommend it as it is a little "sneaky". I'll work on coming up with a beta over the next few days.

4. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

This function will be included in the upcoming 1.2.0 as an experimental feature.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice