1. Unregistered users can now participate on SneakyDave.com. All posts are moderated, which means they won't show up until they're approved.
    Dismiss Notice

Frequently asked questions

Discussion in 'Stuff' started by admin, Dec 30, 2011.

1. admin

admin Valued Member

Where are your rules listed?
    There is a link listed at the bottom of each page, it is also located via this URL.

Do you have a privacy policy?
    There is a link listed at the bottom of each page, it is also located via this URL.

Where is "forum jump"?
    Some message forum software suites have a "forum jump", or a drop down for you to easily get to other forums or pages on a site. On this site, it's called "Quick Navigation", it has a list of commonly used links that can be quickly accessed, such as your news feed of people you follow, your profile, and recent activity. To get to it, click the "squares intersecting each other" to the right of the title banner that says "Forums - General Forums - [forum name]" (referred to as the "breadcrumb"). It is also located toward the bottom of the page, above the footer.

How can I find out if anybody is online or what recent visitors have been doing?
    If you click the "Members" tab above, or hover over the triangle beside it and click the Recent Activity link, you'll see a more comprehensive global look at what other members have been doing, other than creating posts. This feed includes "likes" that members have performed, members changing avatars, and such. There is also a Notable Members link there that lists some summaries of top posters, most likes, etc.

How can I find out what my buddies are up to?
    Similar to the "recent activity" link described above, which shows activity of all members of this site, you can choose to only display activity of your friends/buddies. If you have "followed" a person, it acts like a "buddy list" on other platforms. If you are following somebody, you can view their activity on your News Feed. This feed can be accessed at the bottom of the "Recent Activity" stream from the Members tab, as well as your profile, under "Personal Details".

How do I "follow" somebody I find interesting?
    You can add somebody to "follow" by hovering over your username toward the top-right of the page, and click the "People you follow" link. Then type their username in the text box, followed by a comma, and then another name to add if you want. It's similar to a buddy list.

How do I attach an image to my post?
    You may choose to upload a number of images to your post to dispel or prove a point. The best way to do this is to view this video of one of the XenForo authors. If you need more information, please let me know so that I can add it to this FAQ.

With the latest editor, you can now also drag and drop images from the web or your computer file system right into the editor text box.

View: http://vimeo.com/29863436

What's all this Facebook crap? I don't want to attach Facebook to my account here!
    Facebook account linking is entirely optional, see this thread for more information: http://sneakydave.com/community/threads/facebook-integration.5/

See this thread for more Facebook questions answered:
    http://sneakydave.com/community/threads/associating-with-facebook.222/#post-1903

What are trophies?
    Trophies are special gifts members are assigned for achieving specific tasks, such as make their first post, having one of their posts liked, etc. More information about trophies can be found here: http://sneakydave.com/community/threads/trophies.4/

To see the the list of trophies you've "won", click the "Your Trophies" link in your Personal Preferences

#1 admin, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

How to I make an embedded link to a video, like from Youtube or Vimeo?

For a lot of video sites, you can just paste the URL to the video in your message, and it will be automagically changed to an embedded video in your post when it is created. You can also click the "Media" button in the editor (the thing that looks like a film strip) to paste your URL into your message.

This:
    Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ5TajZYW6Y

Or this:
    Code:
    [media=youtube]XZ5TajZYW6Y[/media]

Will get converted to this:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ5TajZYW6Y

A lot of different media types are supported, click the "Media" link in the editor to see a list, or click the "Help" tab at the top and then browse the bbcodes to see a list of supported media types.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

When I paste content from another web site, it copies the font size and color with the content. How can I prevent that?

The reason that happens is because this site uses the "rich text editor" by default, and when you paste something in to it, it also brings the font styling as well as the content. To paste only the text, and not the font styling, a few of different methods can be used.

1. You can highlight the text you want to remove the styling from and click the eraser "Tx" button on the editor, this will attempt to remove the formatting from the text.
    2. Click the "editor switcher" icon toward the top right of the editor, it looks like a page with a wrench on it. Clicking this icon will switch you to the plain text editor, where the only thing pasted into it is text characters. To switch back to the rich text editor, click the "Use Rich Text Editor" link on the bottom left of the plain text editor. You can switch back and forth as much as you need. You can also use the plain text editor to remove styling that you don't want in your message.
    3. Some browsers have an option where you can paste just the text, and no styling/formatting included with it. In Chrome, you can right click where you want to paste your content, and choose the "paste as plain text" option. There may be similar functions in other browsers.
    If you prefer the "plain text" editor over the "rich text" editor, you can change that option in your Preferences. The option is called "Use the rich text editor to create and edit messages". You can get to your preferences by hovering over your username at the top, and the clicking "Preferences" link.

#3 SneakyDave, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Hep

Hep Guest

btw..if you click off the rich text editor..the smilies go away. Its just plain text. The bar thingy above where you are typing goes poof. So I put mine back on.

5. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

Yes, using the "Tx" button (remove formatting) is normally the best bet. You can highlight all the text, and just click that and it does a pretty good job of scrubbing.

#5 SneakyDave, Dec 30, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Hep

Hep Guest

Im gonna pat myself on the back for that one. Thats what I have been using. I was just clicking around and previewing and editing and finally figured out what to do when I cut and paste now. Its all good.:p

7. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

I don't like this dark style of the board, don't you have anything that is lighter on the eyes?

At the moment, there are 2 different styles and 2 different style widths to choose from available via a link at the bottom of the page. If you haven't changed your style yet, you should see a link that says "SneakyDark". That is the current style that is set. Click on that button, and you should see a pop up of other styles you can select. A light style, and fluid styles are available. Once you have chosen light or dark style, you can click the "Color Options" button to set a standard color with your style, named after the seven deadly sins. If you're feeling adventurous, you may event try the "SD Styler" button, which allows you to change the background image, and 4 of the colors used in the style.

#7 SneakyDave, Dec 30, 2011
  8. Hep

Hep Guest

:eek: at not liking the dark! Me wuvs it.

9. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

Hey, I see some kind of "Nginx" error page from time to time, what the hell is going on with that?

If you see a blank white page with no error message, it probably means I'm fixing a style, or doing something with a style that is making it unavailable at the moment. It is only temporary. I plan to do some server upgrades soon that should lessen the impact of those types of changes.

You may see an Nginx error from time to time, which in the past was a configuration error. It sometimes showed an Nginx web server error if the forum was closed, or a forum or thread wasn't available to view (an httpd 503 error). These errors should now been fixed to fail more gracefully.

#9 SneakyDave, Dec 30, 2011
  10. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

I registered on your site, but didn't receive any email notice, I requested another email confirmation email, and I didn't get that either!

Check your spam folder for email from [email protected], which is my personal email address. I'm pretty sure I know the reason for this problem, and it requires changing the way emails are sent out, but I expect to get it resolved soon. In the meantime, you can whitelist the sneakydave.com domain in your email settings.

I've recently made a couple of changes to the email delivery system, and hopefully that resolves most of the problems. If you are reading this as the result of not getting any mail (registration confirmation or otherwise), email me at [email protected], and I'll do more checking.

I've enabled the SMTP email delivery system which should alleviate a lot of the "missing" email notices, unless your mail client purposely ignores mail from sneakydave.com, it should be delivered to your inbox. If not, please let me know.

11. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

#11 SneakyDave, Dec 31, 2011
  12. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

Sheryl is attacking me, how can I ignore her?

Every member has the ability to ignore any non-administative member. The quickest way is to click on the nefarious user's name, then click on the "ignore" link that shows up on the pop up "member card". The link is also available by hovering over your username above, and selecting "People You Ignore", as well as here.

This ignore system is similar to other boards, with a few changes. If a person that you ignore tries to start a conversation (private message) with you, you won't receive it. If they post a public message on your profile the content won't be visible by you unless you click the "Show ignored content" link at the bottom right, but other members that aren't ignoring the member can see the content. In other words, ignored users are (mostly) unaware they are being ignored, this is by design.

If a user you have ignored starts a thread, you'll still see the thread, but the word "Ignored User" will appear as the topic starter, this is by design as you probably don't want to ignore the whole thread, just the topic starter.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Hep

Hep Guest

Now that title is FUNNY! Sheryl, quit making Sneaky cry.:twins:

14. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

How can I find the link to a certain post in a thread?

Beside each post, next to the "Like" and "Reply" (quote) links, there is a number, such as #14, for this post. Normally called a "permalink", click on that, and you'll get a pop up that will allow you to copy the URL, the bbcode URL, the HTML HREF code, and/or share the link with a few different social networks.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

I keep getting email notices that somebody has replied to a thread I posted in, or I have a lot of email that I'm not interested in from these forums.

When you register on this forum, your profile is set by default to "watch" every thread you start or participate in, similar to "subscribing" to a thread. When you watch a thread, you'll receive alerts at the top indicating when somebody has replied to your thread, or replied in a thread that you participated in. Also, by default, you'll receive an email notice indicating that the thread you're watching has been updated.

You can watch a thread without particpating in it by clicking the "Watch Thread" link to the right of the first post in a thread. If you are currently watching that thread, the link will say "Unwatch Thread".

You can view all the threads you are watching/following by and hovering over your username at the top and clicking the Watched Threads link. From this list of threads, you can select them and (at the bottom of the page) choose to "stop watching the threads", "enable email notification", or "disable email notification" when the threads are updated.

You can also turn off email notifications completely via your profile preferences. Uncheck the box for the option to automatically watch threads you start or reply to that says "and receive email notifications of replies"

If you get too many alerts at the top of the page that you're not interested in, you can choose which alerts you want to be shown. It is the Alert Preferences link available by hover over your username at the top.

There is also an option to watch an entire forum for new threads and posts, if you're into that sort of thing. The link is available via your account page, or you can click the "Watch Forum" link toward the top of any forum page.

#15 SneakyDave, Jan 3, 2012
  16. P'tuny

P'tuny Active Member

Maybe reading FAQ should be a pre-requisite to becoming a member. Sure keeps you busy otherwise LOL

• Like Like x 1
  17. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

I'm trying to use bbcodes in my post, but they are automagically being parsed like a bbcode, but I want to DISPLAY the bbcode, how do I do that?

Use the 'plain' tag like so: This content will [b]not[/b] be parsed.

How do I go to the first post in a thread? It keeps taking me to the first unread post?

Click on the date/time under the thread title.

18. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

Are you going to ban me for advertising my business or favorite place to hang out?

No, forum spam's one thing, but letting people know about your favorite haunts are another. I allow any links (as long as they follow the rules) in your signature. Links can be to message forums, blogs, web sites, whatever. They can't be links meant to degrade or criticize another member, such as "Hey, look at how stupid Sheryl is?!", but I know it's a gray area as to what people would think is offensive.

I encourage providing links to content you find on the web that support your opinion or content you provide.

19. admin

admin Valued Member

I get a message saying "Website Offline, No Cached Version Available".

This is a message from this site's hybrid CDN called Cloud Flare. Cloud Flare is used to cache javascript, css, and to help block malware visitors and spammers. Sometimes it doesn't play nice with regular users.

Normally, this error message is temporary, and sometimes just indicates that the sneakydave.com server is down. If it happens to you, and nothing seems to work refreshing the page, try going to this URL: http://direct.sneakydave.com/community

This URL is a direct request to the server, bypassing the Cloud Flare system. It should work nearly identical to the normal URL, you will just need to re-login with your userid/password as the sneakydave.com sessions and cookies won't work on direct.sneakydave.com.

Let me know if you have consistent problems with this error.

20. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

• This is an example of a public warning regarding this post.
    I want to report somebody for the content they posted, or report somebody for trolling, or not adhering to the site rules.

Here is how I will try to enforce the rules. These procedures will be added to the Terms and Rules page. If anybody wants a discussion on these for clarification, please create a separate thread.

If you find a post objectionable for any reason, either a personal objection, or because of a site rule that isn't being followed, click the "Report" link under a post to officially lodge a complaint. I won't respond to emails or conversations about a person, thread, or post without the report coming to me. That way, it's logged in the system for myself to review.

Once the reported content gets to me, you may or may not get a response. I will not comment publicly about anything reported, but there MAY be a message on the post indicating that it was reported. There may be a link on a post that says "View Warning" indicating what type of warning was given.I will not divulge any names of who reported what.

Unless the information is personally identifiable information, or illegal in some sense, I won't edit any content. This is at my discretion alone. If I do edit content, there will be a note to explain what was changed or removed.

In the past, warnings may have been given to individuals involved in arguments, or other objectionable offense. Going forward, warnings will be given rarely. Threads that are derailed or have outlived their usefulness will be locked and moved to the "Rough" forum. I'll use a conversation with individuals that seem to not understand the rules rather than slap them with a warning.

I'd like to say these rules are set in stone, but because of human nature, exceptions are probably going to be made.

Terms and Rules

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice