1. Unregistered users can now participate on SneakyDave.com. All posts are moderated, which means they won't show up until they're approved.
    Dismiss Notice

Nebraska Earthquakes?

Discussion in 'Stuff' started by SneakyDave, Jan 19, 2016.

1. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

Recently, there was an earthquake near the NE/KS border.

[​IMG]

Earthquake shakes Wymore Sunday night

Even the earth was shaking late Sunday night.

But it wasn’t because of the frigid air sinking in from the Arctic, dropping temperatures well below zero.

This quaking came from the ground up, as a miniature fault line six miles east of Wymore shifted, registering as a 2.9 magnitude earthquake on the Richter scale that could be felt as far away as Lincoln and Manhattan, Kan.

Roger Wittmus -- who lives near the intersection of Plum Road and South 108th Road just west of Kinney Hill, what was believed to be the earthquake’s epicenter -- said he heard what he thought was an explosion just before midnight.

“I thought a bomb had gone off and then the whole house shook,” Wittmus said, adding the shaking lasted for what he estimated as 20 seconds.

New to earthquakes -- as is most of southeast Nebraska -- Wittmus said he checked the home for damage, even measuring for carbon monoxide in his home with a handheld detector.

“You think of everything, you think something had gone wrong with the furnace,” Wittmus added. “It just seemed like something blew up. I didn’t get a whole lot of sleep.”

Five miles to the west in Wymore, Linda “Cookie” Holsan said she thought a semi-truck was speeding passed her H Street home.

“I thought to myself ‘why is it going that fast?’ and then the house started to shake,” said Holsan, who manages the Wymore Express gas station.

The earthquake was the talk of the town of 1,500 Monday morning, Holsan said, as many regulars recounted their experience from the night before while others couldn’t believe the ground had shook under Wymore.

“They thought we were crazy,” she said.

Lisha Adams was watching TV in her living room on Ninth Street and said she felt the quake pass by like a runaway semi-truck similar to Holsan’s story.

“Everything shook including myself because I didn’t know what was going on,” Adams said.

She ran outside in the below-zero weather to check her front yard and backyard to investigate the noise but found nothing. Friends from Marysville, Kan. started sending text messages asking what had exploded in Wymore.

“We would have known if something had exploded -- Wymore isn’t very big,” Adams said. “It just kind of wowed me. Once I figured out it was an earthquake, it was like ‘gee, that’s pretty cool.’”​

(more...)

http://beatricedailysun.com/news/lo...cle_c3820b0c-55d5-5da5-95d0-4d6c2bdb5bdb.html

After doing some researching, Nebraska actually has a few earthquake events in its history:

Earthquake History
    The first significant earthquake felt in Nebraska occurred in 1867, the year that statehood was achieved. The tremor occurred on April 24, 1867, and was apparently centered near Lawrence, Kansas. It affected an area estimated at 780,000 square kilometers including much of Nebraska. Since 1867, at least seven earthquakes of intensity V or greater have originated within Nebraska's boundaries. Several strong earthquakes centered in neighboring States have also been felt over limited portions of Nebraska. None of these caused damage.

Probably the strongest earthquake in Nebraska history occurred on November 15, 1877. There were two shocks 45 minutes apart; the second was the strongest. At North Platte the shock was reported to have lasted 40 seconds and intensity VII effects were noted. Buildings rocked at Lincoln, and walls were damaged at Columbus. The shock was strongly felt at Omaha. Cracked walls were reported at Sioux City, Iowa. The total felt area covered approximately 360,000 square kilometers including most of Nebraska and portions of Iowa, Kansas, the Dakotas, and northwestern Missouri.

On July 28, 1902, a moderate earthquake (intensity V) occurred near Battle Creek in northeastern Nebraska. The limited reports available indicate that this shock was felt at Yankton, South Dakota, and at a number of places in western Iowa. No damage was noted, although the tremor was reported ``sufficient to rattle dishes and shake bell towers'' at several points.

Several small earthquakes shook houses (intensity IV-V) in Columbus, Nebraska, on February 26, 1910. The shocks were apparently felt in the local area only.

On July 30, 1934, a strong earthquake centered in Dawes County, in the Nebraska Panhandle, affected a total area of about 60,000 square kilometers in Nebraska, South Dakota, and Wyoming. The tremor damaged a few chimneys at Chadron, Nebraska (intensity VI). In addition, some plaster fell and dishes and canned goods were thrown from shelves and cupboards. The shock was reported felt at about 125 places, including Sterling, Colorado, about 240 kilometers distant.

(more...)
    http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/states/nebraska/history.php

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice