1. Unregistered users can now participate on SneakyDave.com. All posts are moderated, which means they won't show up until they're approved.
    Dismiss Notice

User warnings / infractions

Discussion in 'Stuff' started by SneakyDave, Jan 4, 2012.

1. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

2. Hep

Hep Guest

Im a bit confused, Sneaky. Do you want our thoughts, opinions, etc to be posted in THIS thread or the other one?

3. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

4. Irene

Irene Valued Member

A couple of thoughts:

- It seems way too detailed to me. Why box yourself in that way? I'd prefer to see common sense used in some situations rather than a rigid adherence to detailed rules.

- Personally I have zero tolerance for spam but you have a higher tolerance according to your draft - 4 spam messages a week. No problem - I can always put the spammer on ignore.

5. noguru

noguru Valued Member

I think there should be zero tolerance for spammers.

6. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

I consider myself pretty fair with warnings, but unless they are documented, everybody thinks they are going to be treated unfairly.

There are 2 types of spam, blatant (which gets no warning, or found to be in a blocked email or IP list), and if a real person registers and gets a little excited/spammy talking about a new web site. Somebody registers at "mynewforum.com" and wants to promote it a bit, they can do that 4 times in 2 weeks. That's why it the rule is at discretion. I'd like to throw them all in the same bunch, but I've been burned on that rule before. Sig lines are fine.

I'll indicate that there is zero tolerance for spammers, but categorize the other type of enthusiastic members as simple "bad behavior".

Basically, yes, just "Be nice. Don't start shit. Don't bring other shit here. Don't insult my intelligence". If it were that easy, it'd, well, be easy.

7. Hep

Hep Guest

Remember AW before it was Vendio? I think the "address the post and not the poster" should be something everyone should attempt to do. Of course, there is no addressing what one cannot see, so it does not apply.

I took someone off ignore long enough to see what happened since its been pretty pleasant around here and now its borderline smelly.

The "address the post and not the poster" applies in Ants response to NG. She kept it non personal and informed him his post could not be seen by the person he was addressing. He addressed the poster and not the post with his response...which is what HE does. Which means my last comment is also me not addressing the post at all..just the poster.
    This is not going to be easy, this "co existing". All of us have the places we feel comfortable at. Making everyone happy is not going to be easy either. I dont envy you.

With that said.....NG's response and taking it further than needed is what causes problems. He got personal. Ant did not.

And now that I know what transpired, I put him back on ignore.

So my suggestion is to try to enforce members addressing the issue of the post...NOT the poster personally or accuse the other person of feelings or emotions they really have no clue as to motive. He asked zelda a question. She couldnt see it. Ant told him zelda couldnt see it. He attacked her for informing him with shit that didnt need to be said. In short....he got personal.

Thats all. Just my thoughts on it.

8. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

I'm not going to discuss that thread here, it isn't the place, it doesn't even follow the rule you're mentioning. I'll be the sole judge on what transpires and how I see things. If the parties need to discuss it, they can start a conversation with me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hep

Hep Guest

Tolja I was confused. Pay 'tention. :mstickle:

Sorry. If you wanna delete my post above or move it wherever...do. Im easy. Although confused.

10. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

If you have questions or how I see things, or how they're acted on, engage me in a conversation with one of the participants.

11. zelda

zelda Member

Dave just sent you a conversation. Sorry was sleeping through all of this.

12. Irene

Irene Valued Member

I guess that probably means a "No" to setting up a Moderator's Corner? Pity. That forum was so much fun on the old AW... well for everyone except for the poor moderators. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. P'tuny

P'tuny Active Member

I am not sure what is going on so cannot/will not comment on the original thread.. People are put on "Ignore" for a reason, My reasoning, is "I" don't care what transpires between any one I have ignored and anyone else. That is why they are on ignore.....For the most part the word ignore should be respected by all parties...Sorry Ant, I think I know where your coming from, but it is always best to leave well enough alone.
    Some people are just a fight looking for a place to happen and whine when they don't have free rein. That is why TRS is intolerable now.... By addressing anyone on Ignore, you are fueling them further.
    My opinion only
    ~~Kathleen
    P/S @ Irene....what is a moderators corner?

• Like Like x 1
  14. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

I don't think a "Moderator Corner" would work without fights breaking out in the thread. It also lessens the power of the ignore function. If I could ignore somebody, I'd want to make sure I unignore them to get my shots in with them in the Moderator's Corner.

The Moderator Corner on AW, if I remember correctly, was a place to discuss actions taken by moderators, usually bannings, if I remember correctly. It normally included a list of questions like "why did you ban xxxxx but not yyyyy for doing the same thing 2 months ago?", "How much is eBay/PayPal paying you?"

• Like Like x 1
  15. Irene

Irene Valued Member

It was a separate forum that AuctionWatch, a chatboard for eBay buyers and sellers, set up way back in 2000 to allow members to communicate with the moderators about moderating decisions or to report other issues (e.g. spammers in a forum).

Back then AW was a very active board with many strong-minded individuals with quite different backgrounds. That made the board interesting because of the diverse points of view it generated. However, it seemed everyone could only get along for a day or two before a fight would break out. Eventually a moderator would post and sometimes lock a thread, delete a post(s), warn a poster or ban a poster for a set period of time or permanently.

That usually resulted in someone being upset with the moderator and posting to complain in the Moderators' Corner. Fights would often then break out in the Moderators' Corner between posters.

Needless to say, the forum did not work as intended and it was eliminated the following year.

What I learned was that rarely will 100% of posters be satisfied with any moderating decision no matter how precisely the rules of conduct are laid out.

• Like Like x 3
  16. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

Yes, you're right, that's why I have the statements that the system may/will change. I know people have bad days, there's no reason to ban somebody for that. But if that was all it entailed, it'd be too easy. You've got your backstabbing, bullying, sneaking, following, irritating, trolling, baiting, switching, etc. etc. etc. I know, I've participated in all of them.

Most of us here accept a certain level of that just crap from the common places we've frequented in the past, and the board wars that have erupted, but in actuality, that isn't normal board behavior. You get a lot of bitchin' and moanin' about all kids of stuff, but very few places allow it member to member.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Hep

Hep Guest

Maybe you should do what OTWA did. They had the downstairs where whomever wanted to duke it out, could. The rule was, though, that those duking it out could NOT mention someone else that had not posted down there or in any particular thread down there. Once that person posted, though, their off limits vest was yanked off....by themselves cuz they posted.

Personally, I like it here and hope it stays like it is. Ignore feature works fine. I came here for a reason. No old moldy stuff. No pile ons. No pack roving and following one after another to go after someone else. And the air is cleaner and not so poisonous. No chum in the waters. Its still clear to "swim" in.

18. P'tuny

P'tuny Active Member

Sneaky Dave Said:
    "You've got your backstabbing, bullying, sneaking, following, irritating, trolling, baiting, switching, etc. etc. etc. I know, I've participated in all of them."

Hep said:
    "Personally, I like it here and hope it stays like it is. Ignore feature works fine. I came here for a reason. No old moldy stuff. No pile ons. No pack roving and following one after another to go after someone else. And the air is cleaner and not so poisonous. No chum in the waters. Its still clear to "swim" in. "
    I agree with both statements.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Solid Mean
    Staff Member

I never understood that. It's like saying "Don't beat up on each other outside, stay inside where nobody can see you". I don't think limiting fights to one forum really works. It's either a free for all, or nothing. Free for alls are certainly more entertaining, but it just leads to bad juju for everybody.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JUqpJeIUAE

(just wanted to get a Nugent video in there somewhere)

• Like Like x 2
  20. Sheryl

Sheryl Insane Zinger

Really? You're going to take that away from me? :eek: I won't have it, I'll take the infractions! :adolf: ha :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice